The following guideline is recommended by Revelstone as the manufacturers, as the correct way to seal their cast stone products. However it must be understood that as Revelstone does not provide a service of sealing tiles, the company cannot be held responsible for any defects which may arise from incorrect sealing by contractors or clients. It is important that only experienced installers and contractors are used; do not use installers who are unfamiliar or inexperienced with cast stone products.
Our products are ideal for outdoors and can be left untreated; allowing the product to naturally weather and wear with time, reflecting the natural hues of the original stone it was copied from.
It is only recommended that our products are sealed outdoors depending on your chosen colour/situation of product or your personal requirements. It can however only serve the product well and will enhance the appearance of the product should you not want to wait the years needed for the product to naturally weather and wear.
Sealer Options – Available from Revelstone –
- Sealkote – durable matt water based acrylic sealer (5 litre)
- Nanoprufe Sealer – nano tech deep penetrating sealer – non slip and completely matt – no change to product colour and shine (1 and 5 litre)
- Nanoprufe mould inhibitor – water base non-corrosive – prevents or removes growth of algae, mould, mildew, fungi on products (750 ml spray bottle)
- Nanoprufe Tile Cleaner – synthetic acid alternative (5 litre) – cleans off cement and grout stains on finished products. Comes complete with degreaser to neutralize acid effects.
- When sealing outdoors you need the following conditions first – overcast cool weather, no direct sunlight on the area to be sealed, tiles/pavers must be relatively cool, dry, free of loose dust, etc. Do not seal tiles in the heat of the day this causes the sealer to dry to fast causing streaking, blistering and eventually the sealer will peel off.
- It is vital that the tiles/pavers are kept clean whilst being laid by washing off with clean water and a sponge at regular intervals so as to avoid having grout/adhesive or cement stains.
- Should the product be badly soiled or stained use acidic cleaners sparingly to remove grout and cement stains. This is however done at your risk and must be supervised by the tiling contractor or installer responsible.
- A mix of water and pool acid – 10:1 (5:1 in extreme cases) doing small areas of less than 1m2 at a time with a medium to soft plastic bristle brush, rinsing off heavily with water/ soap solution to dilute so as not to damage the pavers.
- A synthetic acid alternative – Nanoprufe Tile and Surface Cleaner – is recommended (available at Revelstone)
- You must allow the tiles to dry out after tiling is completed before sealing, can take a few days/weeks.
- If you seal the tiles/pavers before they have dried out sufficiently you will not allow the moisture in the product to escape, causing Lime Bloom or what’s known as negative aggregate transparency.
- So once the tiles/pavers have been cleaned and dried out sufficiently you can prepare to seal.
PROCEDURE – Nanoprufe Mould Inhibitor
- It also advisable to help prevent mould and algae growth on the products to apply Nanoprufe Mould Inhibitor prior to sealing (available at Revelstone)
- Remove debris from the surface, spray on and allow to dry. Mould will gradually disappear over several days. For heavy contamination, brush surface when wet. To prevent re-growth, apply spray before mould occurs.
- Nanoprufe Mould Inhibitor carries on being effective even when dry, lasting for days and months on undisturbed surfaces.
PROCEDURE – Sealkote
- Get the necessary tools and products – Sealkote sealer to be applied with a soft paint roller or sponge.
- Use a paint tray to hold the sealer whilst sealing.
- When applying any coat of sealer use an up and down motion this will help to avoid streaking.
- Ensure that you apply sealer evenly, avoid pooling on the surface.
- Dilute the 1st coat of sealer – 30% water/70% Sealkote and apply as a penetrating coat.
- A few hours (2-3 hours) later once the tile has absorbed the sealer and is dry apply the second coat of sealer – 100% Sealkote – full strength.
- Apply the sealer using a paint roller in an up and down motion, this will ensure it goes on evenly – avoid pooling on the surface.
- Allow a drying time of 1-2 hours between coats.
- You will need to do 2-3 coats depending on how dry the tiles or pavers are.
- 5 litre container will cover approx. 40m2. (available at Revelstone)
- It is not recommended that you seal around pool areas, steps or entrances using Sealkote as it does decrease the tile/pavers non-slip nature – although as the seal breaks down it becomes more non-slip. You will need to reseal the area every 12-18 months depending on usage and areas exposure to the elements. It is not very advisable
PROCEDURE – Nanoprufe Sealer
Nanoprufe consists of 90% water and is completely environmentally friendly.
Due to the properties within Nanoprufe, an invisible protection layer is formed against all dirt and water and also protects surfaces from sunlight, moisture, moss growth, grasses and increases the durability of the materials it has been applied to.
Once Nanoprufe has been applied, it creates an invisible layer of protection but importantly, also allows the substrate to breathe.
· It does not affect the appearance of the surface – matt finish
· true non-slip sealant
· Provides UV protection
· Long lasting protection and easy cleaning of the surface
· Huge abrasion resistance
· Easy application, fast drying
· Immediate use after application of the product – 30 min drying time
· Allows treated surface to breathe
· Resistant to pressure wash (50-60 bar)
· Non-chemical – Odourless
· It doesn’t allow moss or fungi to grow
Curing takes up to 24 hours
Protection lasts 5-6 years – depending on the amount of traffic and use
It is best applied following our preparation instructions above and using a spray gun – garden type is suitable
(make sure its cleaned first)
- Apply Nanoprufe Mould Inhibitor (optional)
- Apply first coat via spray gun liberally (drown surface) and allow to dry about 30 minutes
- Apply second coat as a top up coat and put on less than first coat
- Once completed you can do a water test and should see the water bead on the surface – there will still be a slight penetration or darker mark apparent but this is just surface penetration and will dry.
It is advisable to use Nanoprufe externally as it imparts no finish and will protect the product from possible salt attack etc. You will need to reseal the area every 5-6 years depending on usage and areas exposure to the elements.
Should you require your tiles to be professionally cleaned and sealed please enquire with a member of our sales staff.